16 weeks pregnant
Your Developing Baby –
When you’re 16 weeks pregnant, your baby is about 4.57 inches (11.5-12cm) and approximately 3.53 ounces (100gm).
Fat begins to form underneath the skin, providing your baby with insulation for the coming months.
His heart is beating at a rate about double your heart rate.
Your baby’s head is more erect than it has been.
His eyes have moved closer to the front of his head.
His circulatory system and urinary tract are in full working order.
Your baby has learned to breathe, he’s inhaling and exhaling amniotic fluid through his lungs. Your baby is immersed in amniotic fluid, which is protecting him as he grows in the amniotic sac.
Now, Baby can hear your voice – so feel free to chat with him. 🙂
Your Changing Body –
16 Weeks pregnant – Sign and Symptoms
• Breast size is increasing, they are becoming ready for breastfeeding.
• Constipation, as your uterus starts pressing on your intestines.
• Forgetfulness, clumsiness.
• Faster hair and nail growth.
• Glowing skin
• When you move suddenly, you may feel a slight pain in your sides. Ligaments on each side of your uterus and pelvic walls are stretching as your baby grows.
Between weeks 16 and 18 of pregnancy, your health care provider may offer you a second-trimester screening test, which measures the levels of alpha-fetoprotein (AFP), a protein produced by the fetus, and the pregnancy hormones hCG and estriol in the mother’s blood. It’s called a quadruple screen (or quad screen) when the level of an additional substance, called inhibin-A, is also measured.
- Einat L.K. Pregnancy week by week : Pregnancy Guide: Voices from the womb. Speedy Publishing LLC, (2014). ISBN 1633833291.
- F. Gary Cunningham, John C. Hauth. WILLIAMS OBSTETRICS – 22nd Ed. (2005). The McGraw-Hill Medical Publishing Division. p.33 . ISBN: 0-07-141315-4.
- Glade B. Curtis, Judith Schuler (2011). Your Pregnancy Week by Week (7th Ed). Da Capo Press, 2011. p. 1-24 ISBN 0738215422
- Laura Riley. You & Your Baby Pregnancy: The Ultimate Week-by-week Pregnancy Guide (1st Ed.). Meredith Books (2006). p.14
- NHS. The Pregnancy book. ebook. (2009). p.6
- Paula Spencer, Cindy Luu. Pregnancy Journal: A Week-By-Week Guide to a Happy, Healthy Pregnancy. Peter Pauper Press, Inc., 2006. p. 11-15. ISBN 1593594364.